Do you have missing teeth or broken teeth in your mouth? Are you currently wearing dentures? Have you wished for a more complete smile? If these things ring a bell for you, get help now with dental implants from Dr. Joseph Touhalisky in Findlay, OH.
If you are unsure about dental implants, here are some frequently asked questions to get you started:
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are titanium abutments that are designed to fit inside your gums in order to effectively replace your missing tooth roots. The implants are attached to the jawbone to create a foundation for artificial teeth. Crowns are then connected to the implants, creating an artificial tooth that is unmatched in both realistic look and feel.
How do dental implants work?
The process for receiving dental implants requires surgery and a relatively lengthy healing period (6 months to a year), during which time the abutment literally fuses with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. The entire process is as follows:
- The first appointment may involve broken tooth removal and preparation for future implant placement.
- The next appointments include the actual dental implant placement, a procedure that is performed under local anesthetic in order to ensure as much comfort as possible.
- After osseointegration has occured, the crown is placed atop of the abutment—a step that completes your new tooth!
How do you care for dental implants?
After dental implants have been placed, the care for your teeth is just as vital as it is for natural teeth. It is important to stick to very strict oral hygiene practices of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once every day.
Interested? Give us a call!
Dr. Touhalisky is your Findlay expert for dental implants. Call (419) 427-1500 today to schedule your consultation with Joseph Touhalisky, DDS.
Find out the advantages of getting a dental crown to restore your smile.
A dental crown is a very versatile and commonly used restoration, so chances are good that you may wonder whether this restorative tooth-shaped cap could actually improve the health and longevity of a damaged tooth. From the office of our Findlay, OH, dentist Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, here’s what a dental crown can do for your smile.
The Purpose of a Dental Crown
Crowns offer both restorative and cosmetic benefits. Of course, more often than not our Findlay dentist may recommend a dental crown to preserve a tooth’s natural structure after it’s been damaged or weakened by decay, trauma or infection. Since the crown fully encapsulates the visible portion of a tooth, it can protect it from further damage, all the while strengthening the tooth so that you can chew, bite or speak without issue.
A dental crown is most often placed over a tooth that has,
- A crack or fracture
- Severe and extensive decay (when a dental filling isn’t enough to support the damaged tooth)
- Been significantly worn down
- Just undergone root canal therapy
A dental crown can also be placed over a dental implant to replace a missing tooth or be placed over healthy teeth to support a dental bridge. Along with preserving a natural tooth a crown can also improve the shape, size and overall appearance of a tooth, hiding issues such as severe discolorations or misshapenness.
The Benefits of a Dental Crown
A dental crown is a great solution for anyone who needs to preserve, support and protect a tooth that is weak or damaged. Dental crowns are also made from resilient, long-lasting material, which means that with the proper care you could end up having a dental crown for many years.
Whether you are dealing with dental damage that needs to be repaired right away or you have questions about getting a dental crown, don’t hesitate to call our Findlay, OH, dental office today to learn more.
Crowns are also often made from porcelain or ceramic, which ensures that your restoration looks just like the rest of your smile. Your crown will blend right in and look just like a real tooth.
Dental implants have revolutionized the way that dentists treat tooth loss. Implants are the only dental restoration that replaces a missing tooth fully from root to crown, which has a number of benefits for your oral and general health. Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, a dentist in Findlay, OH, recommends dental implants for healthy patients looking to repair their smile after tooth loss.
Dental Implants in Findlay, OH
For most people, the cosmetic effects of tooth loss tend to take center stage, and understandably so. As one of the first things that people see when they look at you, your smile plays a major role in your identity and self-esteem. However, as anyone living with tooth loss can also attest, there are a number of health problems that come along with missing teeth, from gum disease to malnutrition. Dental implants kill two birds with one stone by restoring your oral health and giving you a beautiful new smile in the process.
How Dental Implants Work
Candidates for dental implants must meet a few requirements in order to qualify. For starters, you must be an adult and in good general health. Additionally, you must have enough existing bone tissue in the gums at the time of the implant. Bone tissue loss in the gums is one of the main (but unseen) side effects of tooth loss. Implants help to prevent this by replacing the tooth's root in the socket and encouraging the growth of healthy new tissue as well.
After a comprehensive dental exam to determine if you are a good candidate, the dentist will schedule an appointment to surgically place the implant. Once in place, the implant fuses with the surrounding bone tissue (osseointegration). After the implant has fully healed, the cosmetic crown is attached. Implants can replace a single tooth or support an entire set of dentures, making them a good option for people suffering from various stages of tooth loss.
Implants must be cared for like natural teeth with rigorous oral hygiene at home, and regular follow up care with the dentist. With proper care, they have a very high success rate and are the next best thing to natural teeth.
Find a Dentist in Findlay, OH
Are you ready to take control of your oral health and restore your smile? For more information about dental implants and to determine whether you qualify for treatment, contact our office by calling (419) 427-1500, and schedule an appointment with Dr. Touhalisky today!
Do you want to ask your Bellevue, WA, dentist about discreetly straightening your teeth?
Invisalign, unlike traditional braces, is discreet. Invisalign consists of clear, plastic aligners. If a patient has minor tooth imperfection, like slightly crooked teeth, small gaps, or improperly positioned teeth, Invisalign is a great option.
Invisalign works by applying forces to each tooth to place them in their proper position. The clear, flexible plastic is custom-designed using a specialized software. It is convenient for adults and older teens who have job interviews, weddings, or prom to attend.
The treatment may take approximately one year, depending on your condition, and consists of trays that fit your upper and bottom teeth. Trays should be worn for a minimum of 20 to 22 hours a day and can be removed if you have an event, but that's unnecessary since they're invisible.
In order to take proper care of your clear aligners, you need to clean them out daily. Rinse them with lukewarm water and use a brush to remove food debris. Also, brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once before bed. Additionally, you need to visit your dentist periodically during and after your treatment.
Advantages of Invisalign
- Invisalign allows you to have more dietary choices. Simply biting into an apple can ruin traditional wires, but you don't need to worry about that when it comes to clear aligners.
- Aligners are comfortable because the thin, flexible material of Invisalign doesn't irritate soft tissues in the mouth, unlike metal wires of braces.
- There's definitely an improved oral hygiene since Invisalign is removable. This means you can brush and floss your teeth with ease, as well as clean out the trays.
- If you have a teeth-grinding problem, clear aligners can act as a nightguard.
If you have any questions or need more information about Invisalign, call (425) 378-1600 today for your Bellevue, WA, dentists, Dr. Man Sunwoo and Dr. Alan Ho at Bellevue Dental Excellence.
Find out How This Clear Orthodontic Treatment Easily Fits into Your Lifestyle.
As an adult, the last thing you want to do is completely change up your daily routine to accommodate your braces. In fact, worry over lifestyle change is one of the leading reasons people are hesitant to get braces later in life. However, our Findlay, OH, dentist, Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, can use Invisalign to get you the orthodontic results you want while fitting treatment perfectly into your current schedule.
What is Invisalign?
Instead of using conventional braces, which utilize brackets and wires, Invisalign offers a clear alternative. Using a set of transparent aligners that look similar to whitening trays, Invisalign is custom-made to fit closely to your teeth and provide the proper amount of gradual pressure and force to shift teeth into their ideal alignment.
Our Findlay, OH, cosmetic dentist will map out your treatment plan during your consultation phase, which will determine which teeth need to move and exactly how much they will move with each aligner.
How does Invisalign differ from other types of braces?
There are many benefits to getting Invisalign over other types of braces, some of which include:
- We know you already have your routine in place, so the last thing you want to do is to have to alter your day-to-day life to accommodate your new braces. Invisalign is different. Since each aligner is removable, this means that you don’t have to worry about nixing tons of food from your diet or spending more time brushing and flossing around metal wires and brackets. Simply remove your aligners and enjoy your favorite foods and drinks without worry.
- Not only will you enjoy the convenience and comfort of being able to remove your aligners before mealtimes and during your oral care routine, you’ll also enjoy that aligners aren’t made from metal but rather a medical-grade thermoplastic. Each aligner is customized to fit over your teeth so that they feel comfortable and are less likely to cause irritation to the gum tissue.
- We know that getting braces later in life wasn’t exactly the plan you had in mind, but if you want a straighter and healthier smile, then braces might just be the only way to achieve this. Luckily, these clear aligners make your treatment far more discreet than other orthodontic options. In fact, it will look like you aren’t even wearing braces at all.
Getting a straighter smile on your own terms has never been simpler than with Invisalign. If you are an adult who wants to fix a crooked smile and is interested in getting Invisalign, now is the perfect time to contact our Findlay office to schedule your no-risk consultation. Call (419) 427-1500 today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.