Posts for tag: dental implants
Have you ever considered replacing your missing teeth with dental implants? Implants, offered by Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, your dentist in Findlay, OH, not only improve your appearance but provide many other benefits.
4 Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants allow your dentist to create a new tooth for you that feels just like the one you lost. Dental implant benefits include:
- Brand New Roots: Dental implants are the only restoration method that replaces missing tooth roots. Roots anchor teeth and provide the biting power you need to rip apart a piece of chicken or chew a sticky treat. During minor oral surgery in Findlay, OH, a small titanium post is placed in your jawbone. It takes about three to six months for the area to heal and the replacement root to become firmly attached to your jawbone.
- Natural-Looking Replacement Teeth: Dental implants are connected to dental crowns, which are restorations that replace the top parts of teeth. Your dentist uses an impression of your mouth to ensure that the crowns fit the gap in your smile perfectly. People won't be able to tell that your new crown is a restoration because it looks just like a real tooth.
- Lower Long-Term Costs: Bridges and dentures usually need to be replaced about every 10 to 15 years, depending on wear and tear. If you care for dental implants properly, you'll probably never need to replace them. When you consider the lifetime replacement costs of the various tooth replacement options, you'll probably discover that dental implants are actually the least expensive choice. Don't forget to factor new crowns into your calculations. Although implants never need to be replaced, you will need new crowns periodically.
- A Strong Jawbone: Your tooth roots constantly press on your jawbone, providing the stimulation it needs to remain strong. After you lose teeth, the bone may shrink due to decreased stimulation. If this happens, the muscles in the lower part of your face may start to sag, and some of your teeth may become loose. Replacing your lost teeth with dental implants can help you avoid these problems.
Most people only replace one tooth with implants, but they can be used to replace multiple teeth. Implant-supported bridges and dentures offer excellent comfort and biting power. They can be attached with just a few dental implants.
Enhance your smile with dental implants! Call your Findlay, OH, dentist, Dr. Touhalisky, at (419) 427-1500 to schedule your appointment.
Tooth loss doesn’t have to have the final say when it comes to the appearance and health of your smile.
Now that you are dealing with tooth loss you want to find a way to replace your missing tooth (or teeth) that fits your unique needs and goals. Many adults are turning to dental implants to rebuild their smiles after tooth loss. From the office of our Findlay, OH, dentist Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, here are some of the top benefits of getting dental implants,
- This artificial tooth looks and even functions just like a real tooth, so you never have to worry about your false tooth standing out from the rest of your natural smile
- Implants replace tooth roots and provide the jawbone with the stimulation it needs, which in turn prevents bone deterioration related to untreated tooth loss
- Implants fill gaps in your smile and prevent teeth from shifting into these gaps
- Implants fully restore chewing and speaking, which ensures that you can eat more of the foods you love, get the proper diet and nutrients you need and also reduce the risk for digestive upset
- Enjoy a major boost to your appearance and confidence when you have a full smile again
- This restoration will also preserve your face’s natural structure by preventing jawbone deterioration and also providing support for the facial muscles to prevent premature wrinkles and sagging
- This restoration is incredibly reliable, boasting a success rate of up to 98 percent
- The implant itself is made from titanium, which is incredibly durable, resilient, and even biocompatible
Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Reading about the benefits of dental implants may have you wishing to sit down with our Findlay, OH, family dentist to see if implants are right for you. The good news is that most healthy adults who maintain good oral hygiene are good candidates for implants, regardless of whether they are missing one, two, or several of their teeth.
Do you have questions for our Findlay, OH, general dentist about your tooth replacement options? Want to find out if you’re an ideal candidate for implants? If so, call our office today at (419) 427-1500 to schedule a consultation.
Do you have missing teeth or broken teeth in your mouth? Are you currently wearing dentures? Have you wished for a more complete smile? If these things ring a bell for you, get help now with dental implants from Dr. Joseph Touhalisky in Findlay, OH.
If you are unsure about dental implants, here are some frequently asked questions to get you started:
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are titanium abutments that are designed to fit inside your gums in order to effectively replace your missing tooth roots. The implants are attached to the jawbone to create a foundation for artificial teeth. Crowns are then connected to the implants, creating an artificial tooth that is unmatched in both realistic look and feel.
How do dental implants work?
The process for receiving dental implants requires surgery and a relatively lengthy healing period (6 months to a year), during which time the abutment literally fuses with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. The entire process is as follows:
- The first appointment may involve broken tooth removal and preparation for future implant placement.
- The next appointments include the actual dental implant placement, a procedure that is performed under local anesthetic in order to ensure as much comfort as possible.
- After osseointegration has occured, the crown is placed atop of the abutment—a step that completes your new tooth!
How do you care for dental implants?
After dental implants have been placed, the care for your teeth is just as vital as it is for natural teeth. It is important to stick to very strict oral hygiene practices of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once every day.
Interested? Give us a call!
Dr. Touhalisky is your Findlay expert for dental implants. Call (419) 427-1500 today to schedule your consultation with Joseph Touhalisky, DDS.
Dental implants have revolutionized the way that dentists treat tooth loss. Implants are the only dental restoration that replaces a missing tooth fully from root to crown, which has a number of benefits for your oral and general health. Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, a dentist in Findlay, OH, recommends dental implants for healthy patients looking to repair their smile after tooth loss.
Dental Implants in Findlay, OH
For most people, the cosmetic effects of tooth loss tend to take center stage, and understandably so. As one of the first things that people see when they look at you, your smile plays a major role in your identity and self-esteem. However, as anyone living with tooth loss can also attest, there are a number of health problems that come along with missing teeth, from gum disease to malnutrition. Dental implants kill two birds with one stone by restoring your oral health and giving you a beautiful new smile in the process.
How Dental Implants Work
Candidates for dental implants must meet a few requirements in order to qualify. For starters, you must be an adult and in good general health. Additionally, you must have enough existing bone tissue in the gums at the time of the implant. Bone tissue loss in the gums is one of the main (but unseen) side effects of tooth loss. Implants help to prevent this by replacing the tooth's root in the socket and encouraging the growth of healthy new tissue as well.
After a comprehensive dental exam to determine if you are a good candidate, the dentist will schedule an appointment to surgically place the implant. Once in place, the implant fuses with the surrounding bone tissue (osseointegration). After the implant has fully healed, the cosmetic crown is attached. Implants can replace a single tooth or support an entire set of dentures, making them a good option for people suffering from various stages of tooth loss.
Implants must be cared for like natural teeth with rigorous oral hygiene at home, and regular follow up care with the dentist. With proper care, they have a very high success rate and are the next best thing to natural teeth.
Find a Dentist in Findlay, OH
Are you ready to take control of your oral health and restore your smile? For more information about dental implants and to determine whether you qualify for treatment, contact our office by calling (419) 427-1500, and schedule an appointment with Dr. Touhalisky today!
For your best smile, do all you can to preserve your natural teeth and healthy gums. However, if tooth loss occurs, consider closing those smile gaps with today's premiere tooth replacements: dental implants from Dr. Joseph Touhalisky in Findlay, OH. Embedded in the jaw bone for superior stability and longevity, dental implants are the next best things to natural teeth.
Your tooth structure
A natural tooth has two basic parts: the root within the gums and jaw bone, and the crown, or part which you can see in your mouth. When lost to decay, infection, oral trauma or other irrevocable circumstance, the natural gum tissue and supporting bone in the empty tooth socket begin to deteriorate.
While conventional bridgework or dentures successfully replace tooth structure above the gum line, they do nothing to replace root structure or bone. Denture slippage and facial changes typically occur.
Enter the dental implant
A dental implant is an actual artificial tooth because it replaces both tooth root and crown, and it exercises the supporting jaw bone. Composed of three parts (a titanium implant screw, a metal alloy extension and a porcelain crown), an implant confers the physical forces of biting and chewing into the bone in which it resides.
Therefore, the bone retains its natural shape, size and density. In fact, the bone melds to the embedded implant device through what dentist's call osseointegration--a truly miraculous process unique to titanium implants. Your dentist will fully evaluate your jaw, oral health and more to determine if dental implants are the right replacement option for you.
The implant evaluation and treatment
During your first appointment with Dr. Touhalisky, he'll do a complete oral examination to determine if you have enough bone in your jaw to support an implant.
During your next appointment, Dr. Touhalisky will numb the empty socket, open the gums and drill a small opening into the bone. He'll select the proper size implant, insert it and close the gums with some sutures. The ensuing osseointegration and healing take several weeks to months, but when complete, the dentist can attach the metal post and customized crown.
The American Academy of Implant Dentistry says that the dental implant grows in popularity every year in the United States--to the tune of 500,000 more placements every year. Why do dentists recommend dental implants? With good care at home and in the dental office, dental implants last for decades, and they faithfully mimic real teeth in form and function.
In addition, dental implants are versatile. Placed in multiples, implants support fixed bridgework, partial dentures and even full dentures, giving patients smiles that feel natural and look great.
No more gaps
Find out if you are a candidate for state-of-the-art dental implants from your dentist in Findlay, Dr. Joseph Touhalisky. For your consultation, call the office at (419) 427-1500.