Posts for tag: Dental Care
Dr. Joseph Touhalisky is your family dentist in Findlay, OH. He and his team delight in caring for children and their oral health needs. He'll partner with you, the parent, in teaching youngsters proper dental care so little smiles thrive.
Good care starts early
As a parent, you have innumerable responsibilities, but they don't have to be difficult. Your Findlay family dentist asks that you watch for your little one's first teeth around the age of four to seven months, and then, bring that growing baby into the office by the age of one year.
This is when oral exams and cleanings begin. Dr. Touhalisky will count your child's teeth, note their position and look at jaw development. Your hygienist will do a simple cleaning and help your youngster get used to how a dentist's office looks and sounds.
She'll also give you tips on home dental care. Brushing, flossing, and proper diet are the mainstays of healthy family smiles.
Tips for parents
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) says parents can make dental hygiene fun for kids. Here are easy ways to make that happen:
- Let your child choose his or her toothbrush and toothpaste. Reserve fluoride toothpaste for children who are old enough to rinse and spit (typically age three and up).
- Until your child is old enough to brush and floss independently, do it for him or her, and supervise kids until age eight.
- To facilitate brushing for a full two minutes, sing songs and play games to fill that time. Give stickers or other non-food rewards for a week's worth of good habits.
- See Dr. Touhalisky twice a year for family dental visits. (The office team can schedule your visit at the same time if you wish.)
- When your child is old enough, your dentist may advise fluoride treatments and dental sealants, thin plastic coatings which protect young molars from decay-causing bacteria and acid.
Diet and athletics
We all know that a low-sugar diet benefits everyone's oral health. Offer your child plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, and water. Parents, when you model healthy eating, your child will follow your example.
Finally, see that your young athlete wears a protective mouth guard when playing school or club sports. Ask about this customizable appliance at your next dental visit.
Also, have Dr. Touhalisky's office number handy in case of a pressing oral health need such as a knocked out tooth, lost filling, or oral laceration. Your family dental team will respond to your emergency with kindness, accurate information, and an appointment as needed.
Find out more
For more information on proper oral health care for your children, call Dr. Joseph Touhalisky and his family dental team in Findlay. Educating families is an important part of what we do. Phone (419) 427-1500.