Tooth loss doesn’t have to have the final say when it comes to the appearance and health of your smile.
Now that you are dealing with tooth loss you want to find a way to replace your missing tooth (or teeth) that fits your unique needs and goals. Many adults are turning to dental implants to rebuild their smiles after tooth loss. From the office of our Findlay, OH, dentist Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, here are some of the top benefits of getting dental implants,
- This artificial tooth looks and even functions just like a real tooth, so you never have to worry about your false tooth standing out from the rest of your natural smile
- Implants replace tooth roots and provide the jawbone with the stimulation it needs, which in turn prevents bone deterioration related to untreated tooth loss
- Implants fill gaps in your smile and prevent teeth from shifting into these gaps
- Implants fully restore chewing and speaking, which ensures that you can eat more of the foods you love, get the proper diet and nutrients you need and also reduce the risk for digestive upset
- Enjoy a major boost to your appearance and confidence when you have a full smile again
- This restoration will also preserve your face’s natural structure by preventing jawbone deterioration and also providing support for the facial muscles to prevent premature wrinkles and sagging
- This restoration is incredibly reliable, boasting a success rate of up to 98 percent
- The implant itself is made from titanium, which is incredibly durable, resilient, and even biocompatible
Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Reading about the benefits of dental implants may have you wishing to sit down with our Findlay, OH, family dentist to see if implants are right for you. The good news is that most healthy adults who maintain good oral hygiene are good candidates for implants, regardless of whether they are missing one, two, or several of their teeth.
Do you have questions for our Findlay, OH, general dentist about your tooth replacement options? Want to find out if you’re an ideal candidate for implants? If so, call our office today at (419) 427-1500 to schedule a consultation.
Preventive dental care can significantly minimize your risk for dental issues in the long run. It can likewise keep your oral health in top shape for many years to come.
Your dentist in Findlay, OH, Dr. Joseph Touhalisky is your dental partner in maintaining good oral health. This means that you should do your part when you’re at home to help keep various oral health problems at bay.
The Basics of Preventive Dental Care at Home
Caring for your teeth properly will help you better maintain your oral health and avoid the development of decay or gum disease. Your oral hygiene routine must involve daily toothbrushing and flossing. Brush gently and thoroughly twice a day at least, once upon waking up and then again before sleeping.
Make sure to floss your teeth once a day. Likewise, cap your oral care routine by gargling antibacterial mouthwash. Eat healthy, crunchy veggies and fruits and avoid starchy and sugary foods. The aim of regular oral care is to prevent plaque accumulation around and in your gums and teeth, and combat gum disease, decay, bad breath, or more serious and costly oral health problems.
Consequences of Poor Preventive Dental Care Habits
Poor oral care habits promote plaque to build up around the gum line and teeth, eventually causing the gums to be inflamed and tender. Plaque is a nearly invisible film of bacteria that when allowed to build up, will result in gum disease and decay. Neglecting oral care and failing to visit your dentist in Findlay, OH, for routine checkups and professional teeth cleanings could lead to severe infections, even tooth loss, when not addressed properly and promptly.
On the other hand, being diligent about caring for your gums and teeth and undergoing routine preventive dentistry treatments could keep plaque from accumulating and reverse most minor dental diseases. Ultimately, a healthy mouth is one that is free from plaque.
To Learn More About Our Preventive Dentistry Services, Contact Us
Dial (419) 427-1500 to get in touch with your Findlay, OH, dentist, Dr. Joseph Touhalisky today.
Our adult teeth can last us a lifetime if properly maintained. Family dentists can now correct oral concerns with the proper instruments and skills. Crowns are just one of many such tools. Dr. Joseph Touhalisky practices family dentistry for adults and children, serving the Findlay, OH, area. With his years of expertise, he will be your guide in restoring your smile.
Patients that have been working to maintain their dentition may find that their teeth may need crowns. Their teeth may be very decayed or otherwise damaged. Crowns are material that is placed on top of the tooth to help protect it. Check out the benefits of getting crowns below:
- Protecting a tooth after a root canal
A root canal is needed when the soft tissue inside the root of the tooth becomes inflamed or infected. The inflammation or infection can spread into the gum tissue.
- Hold a damaged tooth together
A tooth that is split or cracked may need assistance in maintaining its integrity.
- Increase the durability of a tooth
There are certain cases when the tooth is weak or worn down. A crown can lend some sturdiness, avoiding a broken tooth.
- Improve the appearance of your smile
Patients experiencing extensive decay in a tooth may require a crown to improve its aesthetics.
Crowns can last for many years if cared for properly. Your perfect grin can be had by avoiding hard foods and brushing daily.
Dental crowns may be the solution
Confidence in your smile will increase, knowing that your crowns can strengthen your teeth and reestablish that attractive smile. Are you interested in improving your smile? Getting a thorough dental exam from our dentist is simple and the first step. Contact Dr. Joseph Touhalisky's dental practice in Findlay, OH, at (419) 427-1500 to schedule a consultation.
Invisalign aligners are a great way to straighten your teeth if you want a less visible option than traditional braces. Dr. Joseph E. Touhalisky is a dentist in Findlay, OH. he can provide you with Invisalign aligners to straighten your smile discreetly. Here are some frequently asked questions about this popular treatment:
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign is a treatment for misaligned teeth that uses a series of discreet, removable aligners to straighten your teeth gradually and without discomfort. Unlike traditional braces, they do not require wires and brackets.
When you visit your Findlay dentist, Dr. Touhalisky will draw up a treatment plan specifically for your needs. By mapping out the spacing of your teeth and the movements necessary to align them, Dr. Touhalisky can create a series of aligners that will realign your teeth gently over time.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign Treatment?
- Discreet alignment: Because Invisalign aligners are made from clear, patented SmartTrack material, they are practically invisible. This means that people will not notice you’re wearing them.
- Completely removable: You can remove them whenever you are eating or drinking so you won’t get trapped food particles. You can also take them out when you brush and floss your teeth, which makes your oral hygiene routine easier.
- Real comfort: Invisalign aligners are flexible and fit your teeth snugly, so they are much more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Eat what you want: Because you take Invisalign aligners out when you eat, you don’t have the dietary restrictions that are necessary with traditional aligners.
Am I a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
People of all ages are candidates for Invisalign. This type of alignment treatment is popular among adults who prefer a more discreet solution for teeth misalignment.
How Long Will I Need to Wear my Aligners?
This will depend on the alignment of your teeth at the outset. Invisalign treatment can take between 8 and 18 months.
If you live in Findlay and you want to talk to a dentist about Invisalign, call Dr. Touhalisky on 419-427-1500.
Dr. Joseph Touhalisky is your family dentist in Findlay, OH. He and his team delight in caring for children and their oral health needs. He'll partner with you, the parent, in teaching youngsters proper dental care so little smiles thrive.
Good care starts early
As a parent, you have innumerable responsibilities, but they don't have to be difficult. Your Findlay family dentist asks that you watch for your little one's first teeth around the age of four to seven months, and then, bring that growing baby into the office by the age of one year.
This is when oral exams and cleanings begin. Dr. Touhalisky will count your child's teeth, note their position and look at jaw development. Your hygienist will do a simple cleaning and help your youngster get used to how a dentist's office looks and sounds.
She'll also give you tips on home dental care. Brushing, flossing, and proper diet are the mainstays of healthy family smiles.
Tips for parents
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) says parents can make dental hygiene fun for kids. Here are easy ways to make that happen:
- Let your child choose his or her toothbrush and toothpaste. Reserve fluoride toothpaste for children who are old enough to rinse and spit (typically age three and up).
- Until your child is old enough to brush and floss independently, do it for him or her, and supervise kids until age eight.
- To facilitate brushing for a full two minutes, sing songs and play games to fill that time. Give stickers or other non-food rewards for a week's worth of good habits.
- See Dr. Touhalisky twice a year for family dental visits. (The office team can schedule your visit at the same time if you wish.)
- When your child is old enough, your dentist may advise fluoride treatments and dental sealants, thin plastic coatings which protect young molars from decay-causing bacteria and acid.
Diet and athletics
We all know that a low-sugar diet benefits everyone's oral health. Offer your child plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, and water. Parents, when you model healthy eating, your child will follow your example.
Finally, see that your young athlete wears a protective mouth guard when playing school or club sports. Ask about this customizable appliance at your next dental visit.
Also, have Dr. Touhalisky's office number handy in case of a pressing oral health need such as a knocked out tooth, lost filling, or oral laceration. Your family dental team will respond to your emergency with kindness, accurate information, and an appointment as needed.
Find out more
For more information on proper oral health care for your children, call Dr. Joseph Touhalisky and his family dental team in Findlay. Educating families is an important part of what we do. Phone (419) 427-1500.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.