If you are concerned that your child may need braces due to crooked or gapped teeth, there are some things you need to know regarding where and when to go for checkups at the dentist. As a family dentist in Findlay, OH, Dr. Joseph Touhalisky is a great resource for questions about braces and more, including what to expect and the frequency of checkups needed for braces. If it is determined that your child needs braces, Dr. Touhalisky can also help with the placement and maintenance of braces to improve your child's smile and overall oral health.
The First Checkup For Braces
Most dentists prefer to wait until a child is at least seven years old before considering braces, as this is typically the time that some permanent teeth have grown in and therefore they are better able to determine if there is a problem requiring braces. If you notice a problem with your child's teeth or smile before the age of seven, it may still be wise to contact your family dentist in Findlay, OH, to determine if any immediate steps need to be taken. If it is determined that your child will need braces, you should discuss options for types of braces, wear time, and cost with your dentist, as some of these may vary.
Following the placement of braces, your dentist will give you a specific schedule for checkups to make sure they are working properly and any necessary adjustments can be made. If your child has traditional wire braces, these checkups can be anywhere from every four to every seven weeks. With non-traditional braces, such as clear braces or aligners, these checkups may be much less often. With fewer visits needed, these options may be more convenient and cost-effective for some people. Therefore, is important to talk to your family dentist in Findlay, OH, to determine which options for braces may be best for you.
Find The Right Dentist Today
If you are looking for a family dentist in Findlay, OH, consider reaching out to the office of Dr. Touhalisky. For questions about children's checkups for braces or to make an appointment today, please give us a call at (419) 427-1500.
Have you ever considered replacing your missing teeth with dental implants? Implants, offered by Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, your dentist in Findlay, OH, not only improve your appearance but provide many other benefits.
4 Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants allow your dentist to create a new tooth for you that feels just like the one you lost. Dental implant benefits include:
- Brand New Roots: Dental implants are the only restoration method that replaces missing tooth roots. Roots anchor teeth and provide the biting power you need to rip apart a piece of chicken or chew a sticky treat. During minor oral surgery in Findlay, OH, a small titanium post is placed in your jawbone. It takes about three to six months for the area to heal and the replacement root to become firmly attached to your jawbone.
- Natural-Looking Replacement Teeth: Dental implants are connected to dental crowns, which are restorations that replace the top parts of teeth. Your dentist uses an impression of your mouth to ensure that the crowns fit the gap in your smile perfectly. People won't be able to tell that your new crown is a restoration because it looks just like a real tooth.
- Lower Long-Term Costs: Bridges and dentures usually need to be replaced about every 10 to 15 years, depending on wear and tear. If you care for dental implants properly, you'll probably never need to replace them. When you consider the lifetime replacement costs of the various tooth replacement options, you'll probably discover that dental implants are actually the least expensive choice. Don't forget to factor new crowns into your calculations. Although implants never need to be replaced, you will need new crowns periodically.
- A Strong Jawbone: Your tooth roots constantly press on your jawbone, providing the stimulation it needs to remain strong. After you lose teeth, the bone may shrink due to decreased stimulation. If this happens, the muscles in the lower part of your face may start to sag, and some of your teeth may become loose. Replacing your lost teeth with dental implants can help you avoid these problems.
Most people only replace one tooth with implants, but they can be used to replace multiple teeth. Implant-supported bridges and dentures offer excellent comfort and biting power. They can be attached with just a few dental implants.
Enhance your smile with dental implants! Call your Findlay, OH, dentist, Dr. Touhalisky, at (419) 427-1500 to schedule your appointment.
How Invisalign orthodontic treatment from your dentist in Findlay, OH, can give you an outstanding smile.
A straight smile is a great smile, and Invisalign can make it happen! Invisalign is the most discreet way to achieve a straight smile because Invisalign appliances are virtually invisible to people around you. That means no one will notice you are wearing them. All your friends will notice is your smile.
Dr. Joseph Touhalisky in Findlay, OH, offers a full range of dental services, including Invisalign orthodontic treatment to give you an outstanding smile.
Invisalign works differently than conventional orthodontic treatment because it doesn’t use brackets and wires. Instead, Invisalign uses custom appliances, known as aligners. These aligners are revolutionary and offer some amazing benefits like :
- A discreet look, because the aligners are made of clear plastic, making them virtually invisible to people around you
- Enhanced comfort, because the aligners are smooth plastic, without any sharp parts to injure your soft tissue
- Outstanding convenience, because you can remove the aligners to eat and enjoy the foods you love
- Great oral health, because when you remove the aligners, you can brush and floss comfortably, without having to use special tools
- Invisalign orthodontic treatment is fast too. In fact, the average completion time for Invisalign is 9 to 15 months
Invisalign aligners are also strong enough to correct many of the same issues as conventional brackets and wires. Invisalign is a great choice if you have:
- An overbite or underbite
- A crossbite or open bite
- Rotated, crowded teeth
- Overlapped teeth
- Gaps or uneven spacing between your teeth
You will receive your first set of Invisalign aligners, which you wear for 2 weeks. You move on to a new set of aligners every 2 weeks as you discreetly and comfortably work toward a beautiful, straight smile.
To find out more about how you can straighten your smile discreetly with Invisalign, call Dr. Touhalisky in Findlay, OH, at (419) 427-1500 now!
Find out how crowns and bridges could improve your smile.
From sports injuries to a bad fall, there are many reasons why you may now be dealing with a damaged tooth or tooth loss. The important thing is that you turn to our Findlay, OH, dentist Dr. Joseph Touhalisky as soon as possible for treatment. We offer a variety of restorative dentistry options including crowns and bridges to meet your smile needs.
Your New and Improved Smile Awaits
Here at our Findlay, OH, practice, Dr. Touhalisky and his team understand the importance of getting crowns and bridges that look and feel just like real teeth. Crafting crowns and bridges is as much art as it is science. We take exact measurements of your mouth and use tooth-colored materials from which to craft your crown or bridge, which will offer amazing restorations that will blend right in with your smile.
Could your smile benefit from a dental crown? You may be surprised to discover that there are many reasons Dr. Touhalisky may recommend getting a dental crown. While most dental problems can be solved by simply placing a dental crown, a crown is most often used to:
- Replace a large filling that may have weakened the tooth over the years
- Strengthen a weak or damaged tooth
- Cover a cracked or fractured tooth
- Protect a tooth after a root canal
- Preserve what’s left of your natural tooth’s structure
- Restore chewing strength back into your smile
- Cover a dental implant
- Hold a dental bridge in place
On the other hand, a dental bridge is only used when a patient is missing one or two teeth in a row. Our cosmetic dental team here in Findlay, OH, offers a wide range of tooth replacement options, but dental bridges still remain one of the most popular ways to replace missing teeth. This is because dental bridges:
- Fill gaps and prevent teeth from shifting into these gaps
- Are fixed in place so they don’t move or shift around when chewing or speaking
- Make it easier to chew and enjoy your favorite foods again
- Are one of the most cost-effective tooth replacement options
- Don’t require extensive procedures or surgery in order to make and place
Whether you have questions about getting dental crowns and bridges from our Findlay, OH, family dentist, Dr. Touhalisky, or you need to schedule a consultation with us to discuss your restorative dentistry options, simply call our practice today at (419) 427-1500 to book your next consultation.
Tooth loss doesn’t have to have the final say when it comes to the appearance and health of your smile.
Now that you are dealing with tooth loss you want to find a way to replace your missing tooth (or teeth) that fits your unique needs and goals. Many adults are turning to dental implants to rebuild their smiles after tooth loss. From the office of our Findlay, OH, dentist Dr. Joseph Touhalisky, here are some of the top benefits of getting dental implants,
- This artificial tooth looks and even functions just like a real tooth, so you never have to worry about your false tooth standing out from the rest of your natural smile
- Implants replace tooth roots and provide the jawbone with the stimulation it needs, which in turn prevents bone deterioration related to untreated tooth loss
- Implants fill gaps in your smile and prevent teeth from shifting into these gaps
- Implants fully restore chewing and speaking, which ensures that you can eat more of the foods you love, get the proper diet and nutrients you need and also reduce the risk for digestive upset
- Enjoy a major boost to your appearance and confidence when you have a full smile again
- This restoration will also preserve your face’s natural structure by preventing jawbone deterioration and also providing support for the facial muscles to prevent premature wrinkles and sagging
- This restoration is incredibly reliable, boasting a success rate of up to 98 percent
- The implant itself is made from titanium, which is incredibly durable, resilient, and even biocompatible
Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Reading about the benefits of dental implants may have you wishing to sit down with our Findlay, OH, family dentist to see if implants are right for you. The good news is that most healthy adults who maintain good oral hygiene are good candidates for implants, regardless of whether they are missing one, two, or several of their teeth.
Do you have questions for our Findlay, OH, general dentist about your tooth replacement options? Want to find out if you’re an ideal candidate for implants? If so, call our office today at (419) 427-1500 to schedule a consultation.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.